Helpful Gadgets for Family Caregivers
First of all, Our normal daily routine gets crazy when our senior parents get sick. From giving them medications, to taking them to their doctor appointments, it becomes our prime duty. By the same token, leaving them alone at home does not give us a peace of mind. What if they trip and fall and cannot get up on their own? What if there is an emergency and there is no one to help? Finally, all of these thoughts keeps us worried and anxious about our senior parent’s well-being.
In other words, being a family caregiver for our senior parent’s puts a lot of stress on you and your family. Important to realize, balancing the needs of your family with that of your senior parent’s, sometimes becomes a difficult task. However, there are some useful gadgets that can make your life much easier and also reduce your stress and anxiety to a great extent. Here is a list of 12 most useful gadgets. You should pick the right one based on your needs.
12 Useful Gadgets for Your Senior Parent’s
- Monitors – audio and video: Both audio and video monitors become essential. You can carry them with you easily and can know when your senior parents are calling out for you. Some of the advanced models of video monitors allow you to operate it through your laptops, cell phone or tablets. This will help you carry on with your daily activity with peace of mind. You will no longer have to worry about leaving your parents unattended.
- Cameras: You can install cameras in your senior parent’s room. This is a good idea, as you can relax while keeping a close watch on your parent’s activity back in their room. Some cameras have a two-way function, so you can talk to them as well.
- Anti-slip mats: To prevent your parents from slipping on the wet floor.
- Night lamps: Used to light up the hallways to other rooms of the house at night.
- Bathroom rails: These are important as your parent can take the support of these rails while entering and going out of the bathroom or tub.
- Bed bumpers: To prevent falls from the bed while sleeping. With these, you can be sure that your senior parents would not fall from the bed during the night when you are not around.
- Car straps: Your senior parent can grab on when they want to get inside or outside the car.
- Talking prescription bottle: Reminds your senior parents of what medications to be taken and at which time.
- Tracking bracelet: You can ask your senior parent to wear this bracelet round the clock. With this bracelet, you can track your senior parent activity throughout the day.
- Invisible GPS: You can insert them inside the shoe soles and track your senior parent’s whereabouts. Smartphones have GPS, but senior parents with Alzheimer’s often forget to carry their phones or are reluctant to wear any tracking device.
- Floor mat alarm: Placed in the doorway, It will ring the moment it is stepped on. Useful for those family caregivers whose senior parents suffer from Alzheimer’s disease.
- Big – buttoned cell phones: Aging parents often find smartphones and small buttoned cell phones cumbersome. Therefore, some mobile companies, have created special big – buttoned cell phones, especially for senior citizens, with extra backlight, for them to easily read the number and dial a call.
All these gadgets should certainly make your life much easier and also allow you to relax, and at the same time take care of your senior parents.