What are shingles?
Shingles is an acute viral inflammation of the sensory ganglia of spinal and cranial nerves associated with a vesicular eruption and neuralgic pain and caused by reactivation of the herpes virus causing chickenpox—called also herpes zoster, zona, zoster.
Is it a viral disease?
It can strike individuals at any age
Symptoms of shingles
- Burning sensation accompanied by a tingling sensation in the skin
- you may become nauseous and experience a persistently upset stomach
- Numbness in the skin
- The skin is very sensitive to touch
- Development of fluid-filled blisters
- Fever along with chills
- The rashes may itch and also cause severe pain
- Muscle pain is often an early warning sign of shingles
- Vision complications can occur if the shingles virus spreads to nerves that connect to the eyes
After-effects of shingles
Tips to help your loved one with shingles
The moment rashes appear
Care for red rashes and blisters that develop during shingles
- They are painful and taking care of it becomes necessary. To avoid secondary bacterial infection. Cover the affected area immediately with gauze or bandages. And do not let your loved ones touch or scratch, even if it itches.
- After touching the rash to avoid the spread of the infection. Caregivers should wash their hands very often.
- Shingles can make our loved ones very tired. So, the rest becomes very important. Lots of rest will ensure a complete recovery from the disease.
- Caregivers are to watch for any signs of complications in our loved ones. Because they are older and more prone to complications during the shingles attack. Caregivers should report small changes to the doctor.
- Document everything to report to the doctor.
- Since prevention is better than any cure. Protection against shingles is one of the best gifts one can give their loved one.
- The shingles vaccine is available for individuals between the ages of 50-60 years.
- Talk to your doctor about the vaccine and ask them whether your parents can have the vaccine or not.
Caregivers can also consider giving alternative treatments for the shingles virus
- A cool bath with oatmeal will ease the pain and itching.
- Giving your loved ones licorice tea, mint tea or lemon balm can help relieve the symptoms. Furthermore, clean eating will improve the immune system. And can offer a quick recovery from shingles. For this, Tai chi, which is a herbal supplement has proven to be beneficial as well.
- Create a thick paste using cornstarch or baking soda, and water. To naturally relieve itching caused by a shingles rash.
- Practice meditation to get relief from depression and anxiety. Which are common during the shingles attack.
- Apply a cool, moist compress. Do this several times throughout the day to relieve symptoms.
We can overcome shingles
It is a painful and annoying condition for our loved ones. But we can help alleviate some of the effects with patience and tender loving care. Following all the above-mentioned tips will help the caregiver and your loved one to deal with the shingle virus much easier while helping our loved ones recover quickly and easily. For more information, check out this site on shingles. Also, check out my store to learn valuable information on caring for your loved ones. Finally, It can be difficult to attend to your loved one with constipation, but it’s not impossible. With the right knowledge, you can do this. Don’t forget about taking care of yourself and keeping your business going while you are caregiving. I’m here to assist you on this journey, schedule your planning session with me so we can look at how to keep your life and your business running smoothly.