Importance of care
Skincare becomes extremely important as individuals grow older. Changes in its structure cause it to undergo thinning, which paves ways for a variety of problems to sneak in. This is a cause of great worry for your loved ones. It tends to break open easily and bleed. It is also pretty intolerant of quick temperature changes. Experts say that thinning skin is usually the first sign of aging. The appearance of wrinkles and loose skin marks the onset of old age.
Aging and changes
With advancing age, skin loses its elasticity due to a significant decrease in the production of elastin as well as collagen. In addition to this phenomenon, there is also a subsequent decrease in hyaluronic acid production. As a result of this, there is an imbalance between hyaluronic acid production and its subsequent breakdown by several enzymes. All these sequences of events, cause the skin of your loved ones to become thin, fragile and dry with poor elasticity. Dealing with this day out and being careful not to irritate the condition any further can cause strain on you, as the caregiver. For help with this, check out the ebook in my store on Compassionate Care 101.
Causes of skin thinning during old age
It isn’t actually dangerous and also does not always indicate an underlying serious problem. However, you may want to see a doctor if it is susceptible to easy tear, bruising and bleeding. The following is a list of factors that contribute to thinning of the skin:
- The process of cell rejuvenation slows down
- Developing dry skin at an early age can cause it to thin in the elderly
- Medications such as corticosteroids, prednisone, Coumadin, and aspirin
- Long term exposure to the sun
- Use of harsh chemical-based products on the skin during a young age
Ways to deal with thinning
It is one of the most common problems faced by your loved ones. Helping them to effectively deal with the problem can go a long way in preventing unnecessary complications from developing. This is how you can help manage the problem of thinning skin:
- Wear long-sleeved clothing to prevent cuts and bruises from minor injuries.
- The elderly are also advised to wear wide-brimmed hats while gardening.
- As much as possible do not stay out in the sun for long. And whenever it is necessary to step outdoors, always make sure your elderly wear a sunscreen. The sunscreen lotion should offer a good sun protection factor and it should be applied liberally all over the exposed areas at least 15 – 30 minutes before stepping out.
- Drink as much water as possible.
- The elderly should also keep it moisturized. Apply a moisturizer after bathing and before bed. Whenever it feels dry and itchy, it is best to apply a good strength moisturizer. This will prevent it from drying and also prevent minor bruises and cuts.
- Research has shown that it also needs a good supply of vitamins that would help treat skin thinning. Increasing the intake of certain vitamins has proven to improve its resistance to cuts and bruises. The various vitamins include vitamin A, C, E, and K.
- Protein and zinc are also proven to play a vital role in protecting it from becoming fragile. Zinc ensures speedy wound recovery and protein takes care of cell regeneration.
Resources to help
Overseeing this can cause you stress because you cannot be in 2 places at one time. Taking care of your business and taking care of your loved one should be a top priority. Look into hiring some help, this will give you the opportunity to get some rest and also make sure your loved one is properly cared for. Here are some resources to help.
Your skin undergoes many changes as you age. Here are some prevention tips that help to protect it:
- Make use of sunscreen whenever you step outdoors.
- As dry skin also significantly aggravates the problem of thin skin, drink plenty of water to keep it hydrated.
- Make sure you moisturize your skin each night before going to bed. You can use any good moisturizer, but almond or olive oil has shown to do wonders.
- Elderlies are also advised to quit smoking. Research has shown that cigarette smoke deprives the skin of oxygen, paving way for wrinkles to show in pretty early.
- Exercise is yet another way to get good skin during old age.
- Take a nutrient-rich diet. Building good skin not only requires external care, but you also need to support it internally. Therefore, a good diet rich in fruits and vegetables will give it an antioxidant boost, which will help in driving away from the free radicals.
I am here to help
It can be difficult to attend to your loved one with thinning skin, but it is not impossible. With the right knowledge, you can do this. Do not forget about taking care of you and keeping your business going while you are caregiving. I am here to assist you on this journey, schedule your planning session with me so we can look at how to keep your life and your business running smoothly.
All the above-mentioned tips are sure to help your loved ones effectively deal with the problem of skin thinning during old age. For more information on thinning skin, check out this site. Also, here is another post that you may like to look back on. https://theultimatecaregivingexpert.com/2017/11/28/how-to-prevent-dehydration-in-our-loved-ones/