Listen to this blog post
What is Hearing Loss
Hearing loss or not?
- Have you noticed embarrassing behavior when they are about to meet friends or new people?
- Is your loved one have difficulty in hearing when someone speaks softly?
- Does your loved one appear frustrated while communicating with you or another family member?
- Do you notice that their hearing problem leads to frequent arguments in the family?
- Is your loved one able to hear properly while dining out in a restaurant?
- Does your loved one constantly want to increase the volume of TV or radio?
- Is your loved one reluctant in visiting their friends?
- Have your loved ones avoided attending parties or family get together?
- Sensorineural hearing loss
This is a permanent form of it, which usually occurs due to damage to the inner ear.
Conductive hearing loss
Cause of hearing loss
- Otosclerosis. Is a hereditary disorder. Causing progressive deafness due to overgrowth of bone in the inner ear.
- Infections of the ear. Known as otitis media can cause significant loss of hearing, if not treated on time.
- A severe blow to the head that can result from an accident or injury.
- Certain medications. Ototoxic drugs, in some cases, cause permanent damage to the inner ear.
More tips to help your loved one with hearing loss
Be a supportive listenerHearing loss is not a pleasant experience. Our loved ones often get in an uncomfortable situation when they get into a group of people. In order to hide their loss of hearing properly, they may end up talking too much. In such a situation, it is better to allow your loved one to do the talking. And you as the caregiver should be a patient listener.
Go with your loved one to the doctorBy doing so, you are making it clear that you are there for your loved one when they need your support. Furthermore, by accompanying them to the doctor, you can discuss every detail. And also decide upon the best treatment for your loved one.
Attend the hearing test appointment to the audiologistMake sure that you attend almost all the appointments with the audiologist. Because you would get to learn more about the hearing loss. And its negative impact on your loved one and members of the family. This experience will enable you to take better realistic decisions in the long run.
Do not make the mistake of immediately purchasing hearing aids onlineRefrain from doing so; do not get tempted to get hearing aids as soon as your parents complain of hearing loss. Understand that hearing aids are complex devices. And your audiologist is there to work on them. Online hearing aids may not fit your loved ones’ demands. Therefore, it is best to consult the audiologist. Before purchasing any such devices for your loved ones.
Do not get frustrated with your loved onesFrustration is certainly not the way to solve the problem. When our aging loved one is unable to hear, they often exhibit unnatural behavior. Which is sometimes difficult to tackle. Furthermore, your loved one may be living with untreated hearing loss for more than 10 years. During this period, their brain is receiving reduced hearing stimulation. As a result of which it would take a good amount of time to adjust to hearing aids. Do not expect miracles to happen, the moment your loved one uses hearing aids. With hearing aids, your loved one would need enough time to get adjusted to the device. Keeping patience during this time is important. And do not get frustrated and shouting at your loved one. This will only lead to misunderstandings and hard feelings.
It can be difficult to attend to your loved one with thinning skin, but it’s not impossible. With the right knowledge, you can do this. Don’t forget about taking care of yourself and keeping your business going while you are caregiving. I’m here to assist you on this journey, schedule your planning session with me so we can look at how to keep your life and your business running smoothly.