Benefits of Compression Stockings
Compression stockings can help with age related problems and diseases, that makes life a lot miserable for our elderly loved ones. From chronic diseases to physical disability, old age has a lot of aggravation to deal with. Of the several disease conditions that affect our loved one.
- Cardiovascular disease
- Chronic arthritis
Are some of the prominent conditions affecting our elderly.
Aging Cause Leg Problems
Furthermore, with an increase in age, there is a significant decrease in physical activity. Which can cause a sudden increase in weight. This gain in weight, can strain the venous system. Which gives way for the development of veins related problems in the legs. We also tend to lose muscle mass as we age, which further decreases the support to the veins. Pain in the legs, along with swelling are usually the first signs of venous insufficiency. As a result, the blood flow to the legs gets disturbed. Causing the skin to get discolored, thin and is more prone to infections. In addition, small injuries are harder to heal completely. Which can lead to the development of leg ulcers.
Thanks to all these conditions, life becomes harder for our elderly. Therefore, it becomes necessary, to find various ways to help the live a comfortable and contended life. As caregivers, it becomes our prime duty to make life comfortable for our elderly.
Understanding vein problems and the role of compression stockings
Leg vein problems are a common problem of old age. These problems arise, when the veins in the legs become damaged.
And are no longer capable of bringing back the venous blood back to the trunk. Prevention and treatment will help from permanet damage sets in. Apart from losing weight, exercising and using medications. Seniors can also begin using compression stockings to alleviate their leg vein problem.
Compression stockings have proved to be an essential tool. For the management of various types of vein problems such as deep vein thrombosis, venous insufficiency as well as varicose veins. These stockings act as a muscle layer, that work by gently squeezing the vein walls together. This squeeze is tight at the ankle, and lightens steadily as we move up. This act, improves the overall circulation. by allowing the valves to restore the blood circulation to the heart and the rest of the body parts.
Types of leg vein problems
There are three major types of leg vein problems, that our elderly suffer from.
- Deep vein thrombosis: A condition, characterized by the development of a blood clot in the deep vein. hence the name deep vein thrombosis (blood clot). This causes our elderly to experience pain and swelling in the affected leg.
- Venous insufficiency: a condition, wherein the one–way valves present in the veins. Fail to prevent the blood from flowing in the backward direction. What happens is, the damaged valves are no longer capable of moving the blood up to the heart. And as a result of which, blood starts getting accumulating, causing pain and swelling in the legs. If your loved one complains of leg cramps and their legs appear to be swollen and painful. Then they might be suffering from venous insufficiency.
- Varicose veins, is a common problem of the elderly. In this condition, the veins fill with more blood, causing them to become painful and swollen.
Compression stockings – a blessing for the elderly
Compression stockings are garments, that provide lots of support and comfortto the lower legs and ankles. Ankle supports are an useful product and we should encourage our elderly to use these.
They are for those elderly who are experiencing problems due to improper or poor blood circulation. They may experience poor circulation either as an independent problem. Or as an accompaniment of various chronic degenerative diseases. Compression stocking improve the blood circulation, thereby easing the swelling and pain.
The compression stockings help in the treatment of
- Blood clots
- Varicose veins
- Spider veins
- Tired legs
- Pain in the legs
Compression stockings and their role in maintaining circulation
The main goal of compression stockings is to restore the blood circulation in the legs. This is to ease the pain and lessen the swelling. By regular wearing compression stockings, this will reduce any leg problems a lot. And would in turn help seniors move about freely.
Compression stockings mimic the role of our muscles. As they help in pumping the blood from the lower legs to the rest of the body. A phenomenon which otherwise would not occur, due to the presence of leg vein problems. They are tight at the toes, and the pressure decreases as we move higher up the legs.
Compression stockings help prevent blood from getting collected or pooled in the lower legs. By overcoming the gravity, and thereby preventing the chances of developing a blood clot. A blood clot in such areas, can prove to be very dangerous, as it can travel to other areas of the body. When worn regularly, helps in relieving muscle cramps, fatigue, swelling and itching.
Selecting the right compression stockings for your loved ones
Selecting the right type of compression stockings is necessary to provide them with the maximum support and benefit. Here are certain tips for selecting the right compression stockings for your elderly:
- The stockings should not be tight, but firm enough to provide proper support to the leg. Extremely tight stockings can even restrict the blood flow, making matters worse.
- Your elderly should be able to remove the stockings easily and not with difficulty. For example, if the stockings are very tight, then removing them would be difficult. At the same time, if the stockings are loose, then they would not be able to provide proper support.
- Ask the doctor, and decide on the size of the compression stockings that best suits your elderly. There are various sizes available – some cover the calf and some socks go up to the knee length. Therefore, depending on the complaint and need. You would have to decide on the size of the compression stockings.
How to care for compression stockings
It is necessary that you take good care of your compression stockings. After all, it is these pairs, that eases your pain and support your legs. The following tips can be useful to keep your stockings clean:
- It is necessary that you wash your stockings daily with mild soap and water and rinse them dry. If possible, it is advisable to have two pairs of stockings. Since you wear them the whole day and take them off only at night. It is necessary to wash them regularly, to maintain hygiene.
- Avoid washing your stockings in the machine.
- Replace your stockings every 3 – 6 months, to maintain their support.
Any disease that restricts the blood flow or inhibits the circulation, can prove to be fatal for our elderly. Pain in the legs, swelling in the ankles, heaviness, etc, all arise from poor blood circulation and can ruin the life of our elderly. When you get older, there is an unwanted rise in the number of ailments, one suffers from. It becomes our duty as caregivers, to help our seniors live a comfortable life. Compression stockings offer great help to our loved ones. They help to ease the pain and decrease the discomfort caused due to various types of leg vein problems. Therefore, as caregivers, we need to make a wise choice, and help our elderly live a contended and fulfilling life. For more help with veins, check out this article on varicose veins.